Opera Idol FAQs
When are auditions?
Auditions will be held Saturday, May 7, 2011, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Cincinnati Music Hall, 1243 Elm Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202.
What is the prize?
The winner of Opera Idol™ 2011 will receive a $3,500 contract with Cincinnati Opera, which may include public appearances and performance opportunities.
Do I need to make a reservation to audition?
No, just arrive anytime between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 7. You’ll complete a registration form and then audition on a first-come, first-served basis.
What are the eligibility requirements?
To participate in Opera Idol™…
- You must be at least 18 years of age as of May 7, 2011.
- Your permanent residence must be in the state of Ohio, Indiana, or Kentucky.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or have valid working documents.
- You must not have had a paid, professional singing engagement within the past 3 years. (This exclusion does not apply to church or synagogue engagements. If you’re not sure, please contact us!)
- You may not have a talent agent or manager.
- You may not have been a semi-finalist or a finalist in past Opera Idol™ competitions.
- You must be willing to attend at least one musical coaching with Cincinnati Opera and you must be available to perform in the Semi-Finalist Concert on July 5, 2011 at the Aronoff’s Jarson-Kaplan Theater in downtown Cincinnati if you are selected.
- Cincinnati Opera Board members, Cincinnati Opera Guild members, employees of Cincinnati Opera, and immediate family members of each are not eligible.
Can you describe the audition process?
Contestants will audition individually in a closed room, in front of 3 judges. Contestants will have no more than 2 minutes to perform a piece of their choice. Please note that we will record video footage of your audition.
What should I sing?
All musical styles are welcome. The most important thing is to select a song that shows the range and quality of your voice. You may, of course, sing in any language you like.
In addition to opera and musical-theater pieces, here are a few other songs to consider:
- “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga
- “You Raise Me Up” by Josh Groban
- “Who Wants to Live Forever” by Queen
- “A House Is Not a Home” by Luther Vandross
- “My Way” by Frank Sinatra
- “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion
- “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” from The Wizard of Oz
- “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey
Can I bring a musical instrument, such as a guitar?
No musical accompaniment is allowed, and no pianist will be provided.
Can I audition with a friend?
Solo auditions are recommended. You may have one guest watch your audition.
What should I wear to audition?
Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable; the audition process is casual.
How will contestants be judged?
Contestants will receive feedback on their vocal performance and stage presence. The 10 semi-finalists will be determined by the producers.
When will I find out about the results of my audition?
We will post a listing of semi-finalists by Wednesday, May 11.
OPERA IDOL™ CONCERT
What are the details for the Opera Idol™ Concert?
A concert featuring the 10 semi-finalists will be held on July 5, 2011 at the Aronoff’s Jarson-Kaplan Theater in downtown Cincinnati. The concert is open to the public. Ticket information will be available beginning June 1.
How will the semi-finalists prepare for the concert?
Semi-finalists will work with a Cincinnati Opera professional who will assist in song selection and coach on singing and presentation.
What happens at the concert?
Semi-finalists will perform, audience members will vote, and the top 5 finalists will be announced.
How is the winner decided?
Videos of the top 5 finalists will be available for viewing online, and the public will vote for their favorite.